Joseph J. Discenza
Senior Counsel, Co-Chair
Joseph Discenza is a Certified Civil Trial Attorney (as certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court) with extensive trial experience in both the civil and criminal arenas. He is the head of the Personal Injury and Workers’ Compensation practice group, and specializes in all areas of plaintiff’s personal injury litigation, with a special emphasis on motor vehicle and slip-and-fall accidents. He also specializes in work-related accidents and workplace accidents, and has been representing individuals injured as a result of the negligence of others for over 40 years. He has also won a number of settlements in excess of one million dollars.
Joseph has again been recognized by Super Lawyers for Personal Injury in 2016*.
Joseph is Chair of the Criminal and Municipal Court Defense practice group, and has over 40 years of experience in representing those accused of crime in both the state and municipal courts of New Jersey. He specializes in all types of criminal prosecutions in the state courts, as well as the defense of DWI/DUI and other serious offenses in municipal courts.
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey or the American Bar Association. A description of the standard or methodology on which the accolades are based can be found at:
In addition, Joseph is the co-chair of the Domestic Violence Practice group, and has been prosecuting and defending domestic violence matters for over fifteen years. Due to his over 30 years of experience representing those accused of crimes in state and municipal courts, Joseph brings a unique perspective to domestic violence matters, many of which have a criminal component.
Areas of Practice
- Domestic Violence (Co-Chair)
- Personal Injury and Workers’ Compensation (Co-Chair)
- Municipal & General Criminal Defense (Chair)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- State of New Jersey 1975
- U.S. District Court of NJ 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- Essex County Bar Association Member
- Middlesex County Bar Association Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association Member
- American Bar Association Member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America Member
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 1975
- Rutgers The State University of New Jersey, B.A., 1967